Enter a new world of Sound with DOLBY ATMOS®. It transports you into the story with moving audio – sound that fills the cinema and flows all around you with breathtaking realism to create a powerfully moving entertainment experience.
DOLBY ATMOS makes it easy for filmmakers to place or move specific sound anywhere in the movie theatre, including overhead. As a result, audiences feel as if they are inside the film, not merely watching it.
Introduced in April 2012, DOLBY ATMOS has been embraced by all the major Hollywood studios, 11 Academy Award winning directors, and 23 Academy Award winning sound mixers, among others. More than 900 DOLBY ATMOS screens have been installed or committed to in more than 40 countries with more than 250 exhibitor partners. More than 200 films from 17 different countries have been or are scheduled to be released with DOLBY ATMOS sound since the first film debuted in June 2012.
DOLBY ATMOS has received technical achievement awards from both the Hollywood Post Alliance and the Cinema Audio Society. As the inventors of the only object-based audio format used in the cinema today, Dolby is working closely with the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers in driving adoption of standards for object-based audio.
For the latest list of Dolby Atmos titles, visit dolby.com/atmosmovies.
DOLBY ATMOS Benefits
- Fills the cinema with breathtaking sound
Sound comes from all directions, including overhead, to fill the cinema with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth.
Reasons to believe
- Creates a complete atmosphere of sound that puts you into the experience
- Sound comes from ever part of the room – even overhead – and can explosively fill the entire space, or quietly whisper in corner.
- You’ll feel like you are really there – like you can smell the forest, feel the rain, dance in a club, or attack a fortress.
- Delivers wonderfully clear, precise, and nuanced sound
- Produces broadest range of sound with the greatest subtlety to capture every dimension of the experience.
- Offers amazing clarity, true-to-life detail, and awesome power.
- Renders speech crisply, making it easier to hear every word of dialogue and every nuance of expression.
- Puts Sounds into motion all around you
The sounds of the onscreen story move all around you in three-dimensional space, so you feel like you’re inside the action.
Reasons to Believe
- Places difference sounds precisely, anywhere within the cinema
- Behind, overhead, to the side – individual sounds from the story are accurately located in the room to put you in the middle of the experience
- Moves sounds throughout every dimension of the space
- The action comes alive as an arrow shoots overhead, a river tumbles down into the valley below, a race car screeches around the corner, all with incredible realism, right there in the cinema.
- Many different sounds can be placed and moved all at once to powerfully present even the most complex and dynamic scenes.
- Creates a powerfully moving entertainment experience
It’s sound that excites your sense and inspires your emotions to deliver the full impact of entertainment.
Reasons to Believe
- Elevates sensation and emotion
- Sound is so real that in action scenes your heart races and your adrenaline flows, while in tranquil scenes your breathing slows and your mood relaxes.
- The powerful sound deepens your engagement with the story ad heightens your emotions
- Delivers the full impact of the director’s work
- Provides the most accurate portrayal of the movie’s sound – just the way the director imagined it.
- Gives artists amazing new capabilities to tell their stories with the greatest expressive impact.